Thursday, September 13, 2012

How to Date an Alien (My Alien Romance #1) by Magan Vernon -- YA Review


How to Date an Alien (My Alien Romance #1) by Magan Vernon -- YA Review

Image from Goodreads
High school senior Alex Bianchi's estranged father gets her an internship at Circe Operations Center to pad her college applications. But Circe isn't your typical military base. It's an alien-run operation center and not all of the aliens are friendly, especially the one that tries to kill Alex on her first day. When Ace, a dark-eyed Caltian, enters and saves the day, she can't help but be drawn to him. Can these star-crossed lovers survive when they're on the brink of intergalactic war? Blurb from Goodreads
Details: CreateSpace, Released December 6, 2011, Kindle e-book, 272 pages
Genre: YA
Source: Amazon
Links: Goodreads

Stars? 4/5

In one sentence? Romeo and Juliet with aliens.

Review:

I liked it. But I wanted to like it more than I did. The concept was awesome, Romeo and Juliet with aliens, but it lost me about two thirds of the way through.

I liked Alex especially because she wasn't perfect. She had glasses and hips - as big bad mama points out - and emotional baggage. She had her moments of  incredible bravery, not just going into battle but declaring her allegiance. But at that two thirds of the way through, she lost me. She was willing to make an incredible sacrifice and then she goes all will I, won't I when it comes to how she feels about Ace? And she was listening to what other people said instead of what she thought?

Did anyone else think about the logic of Alex and Ace's relationship? The temperature difference in - shall we say intimate moments?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this but the whole Romeo and Juliet with aliens sounds good.

    ReplyDelete